[gmx-users] g_dist: extract distances between any two atom pairs

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Jun 3 22:23:00 CEST 2009

Justin A. Lemkul skrev:

> Joern Lenz wrote:
>> Dear Gromacs Users,
>>

>> I need to extract all possible distances between any two atom pairs
>> of a small hexa- to dodecamer from a trajectory. The same is
>> necessary for all dihedral angles of this protein. Now I wonder if
>> this is possible without defining all of them manually in the ndx
>> file and call g_dist for each of them ? Is there a short answer on
>> that ? Maybe I missed the answer to that question in the forum ?!

Actually, this is one reason why open source is such a fantastic thing!
With a little C-skill that functionality ought to be relatively simple
to incorporate in some existing analysis tool. Not saying that it takes
less time than scripting multiple calls to g_dist, but it can be reused
in the future.