[gmx-users] PME nodes

XAvier Periole x.periole at rug.nl
Sat Jun 6 13:20:36 CEST 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 1:08 PM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> XAvier Periole wrote:
>> Dears,
>> I am having troubles finding the better balance between the PME
>> CPUs and the rest.
>> I played with the rdd, rcon and -npme options but nothing really
>> appears very
>> straightforwardly best.
>> I'd appreciate if some of you could post their experience in that
>> matter. I mean the
>> number of pme nodes as compared the total number of CPUs used.
>> I think this info as been discussed recently on the list but the
>> archive is not accessible.
>> It may matter that I have a system containing about 70000 atoms, a
>> protein in a bilayer.
>
> Some advice that I got from Berk long ago has worked beautifully for
> me.  You want a 3:1 PP:PME balance for a regular triclinic cell
> (grompp will report the relative PME load as 25% if your parameters
> create such a balance), 2:1 for an octahedron.  My scaling has been
> great using this information, without having to alter -rdd, -rcon,
> etc.

Thanks for the info. I got more or less to that ratio. Although a 2:1
PP:PME sometimes is better.

However my problem now is to get 256 CPUs more efficient (ns/day) than
128 CPUs. The communications
become a limiting factor ... can't get it to go faster! The system
might be small, but not sure.

I'll take a look at the CVS tool.

XAvier.