[gmx-users] gmx_blast error when attempting to run in parallel

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 11 14:24:01 CEST 2009

Sashank Karri wrote:
> Hi, I'm running gromacs-4.0.3 on a cluster.  I am testing gromacs on
> it.  We are currently getting this error when I run with 4 nodes with
> one dedicated to PME calculations.
>
> Back Off! I just backed up md.log to ./#md.log.5#
> Reading file ionsol_minim96-1.tpr, VERSION 4.0.3 (single precision)
>
> ------------------------------
> -------------------------
> Program mdrun, VERSION 4.0.3
> Source code file: network.c, line: 357
>
> Routine should not have been called:
> gmx_bast
>
> "I'll Match Your DNA" (Red Hot Chili Peppers).
>
> Here is my job that I'm submitting to the cluster.
>
> #PBS -N ionsol_karri
> #PBS -l walltime=24:00:00
> #PBS -l nodes=4:ppn=4:quad
> #PBS -j oe
>
> module load mpich
> module load gromacs-4.0.3
> cd /home/srk18/newplcre/
> mpirun -nodes 4 /usr/local/gromacs/gromacs-4.0.3/bin/mdrun -npme 1 -s
> ionsol_minim96-1.tpr -o finminim96_traj.trr -x finminim96_traj.xtc -c
> final_minim.g96 -e enermin_fin.edr -cpo state96.cpt

Is your mdrun truly MPI-enabled?  Typically the configure script advises you to
append _mpi to the parallel version.

Also, upgrade to the newest version of Gromacs, 4.0.5, and try again.  That way,
if it is a bug, then changes can be made to the newest version, and not one that
is five months old.

-Justin

> When discussing the installation of gromacs earlier with the cluster
> admin, he sent the following message:
>
>  >I remember I seeing your error (not the present error) while I tried
> to make the dynamic version of the GROMACS. So I used the
> --enable-static while building parallel version of the GROMACS. That
> build the executable and most of the inbuilt test were successful. If
> you think we need dynamic build let me know, I might have to struggle a
> bit. Also It would be good  if you share information you have regarding
> building.
>
> Do you folks have any idea as to how to fix the above error?
>
> Thanks,
> Sashank Karri

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate