[gmx-users] Re: Alternative TRP residue

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jun 13 13:34:09 CEST 2009

abelius wrote:
> Since the charges / bond lengths and angles were obtained for QM
> calculations for the excited state of TRP I'm wondering if it would make
> sense to apply the alternative bond lengths and keep the force constants
> of TRP in the ground state?

I guess it's really going to depend on whether or not any of the bonded
interactions are altered by this excited state.  If, for example, your excited
state changes the bond order of a particular bond (i.e., promotion of an
electron in a bonded orbital to one in an antibonding orbital), then I would
argue that the force constants in the force field are incorrect, since that bond
would thus be weakened.

-Justin

> Cheers,
> Abel
>
> Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>

>> abelius wrote:
>>>
>>> But How can I determine this constant? (I guess using the one of
>>> normal TRP would make no sense)
>>
>> I would suggest reading the primary literature for your force field of
>> interest.  How did the original authors assign these parameters?
>> Usually bonded information comes from experimental data (spectroscopy,
>> etc.)
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Abel