[gmx-users] Strange error in DNA simulations..

Bhanu bhanuiitr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 08:23:35 CEST 2009

Hi Group,
I've tried simulating a five bp dna. It has showed many atoms missing and
some extra atoms present in the pdb file. For pdb2gmx, I used -ignh and
-mising options. Later editconf_d, genbox_d, and genion_d steps went well.
Even grompp_d worked well. But when I issued the run command for mdrun_d,
the strange result is coming, repeatedly. I have installed lam-mpi and
running gromacs in double precision. The commands I have used are..

pdb2gmx_d -f fivedna.pdb -o dna.gro -p dna.top
editconf_d -f dna.gro -bt dodecahedron -c -d 1.0 -o boxdna.gro
genbox_d -cp boxdna.gro -cs spc216.gro -p dna.top -o solvateddna.gro

neutralized the system with genion_d and grompp_d, mdrun_d with -v and
-deffnm commands. Surprisigly, everytime, it is using only two cores of my
core2quad processor, delaying the output for all experiments. For this
experiment, here is the error report which I donot understand at all!

The error report is really frightening to me!!! Here it is!

[Bhanu at localhost doublestrand]$ gedit Testfile
[Bhanu at localhost doublestrand]$ mpirun N C Testfile
NNODES=2, MYRANK=1, HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
NNODES=2, MYRANK=0, HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
NODEID=1 argc=6
NODEID=0 argc=6
                         :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:

                       GRowing Old MAkes el Chrono Sweat

                            :-)  VERSION 4.0.3  (-:

      Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
       Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
             Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
            check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.

         This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
          modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
         as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
             of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

                      :-)  mdrun_d (double precision)  (-:

Option     Filename  Type         Description
  -s      bhanu.tpr  Input        Run input file: tpr tpb tpa
  -o      bhanu.trr  Output       Full precision trajectory: trr trj cpt
  -x      bhanu.xtc  Output, Opt. Compressed trajectory (portable xdr
format)
-cpi      bhanu.cpt  Input, Opt.  Checkpoint file
-cpo      bhanu.cpt  Output, Opt. Checkpoint file
  -c      bhanu.gro  Output       Structure file: gro g96 pdb
  -e      bhanu.edr  Output       Energy file: edr ene
  -g      bhanu.log  Output       Log file
-dgdl     bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
-field    bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
-table    bhanu.xvg  Input, Opt.  xvgr/xmgr file
-tablep   bhanu.xvg  Input, Opt.  xvgr/xmgr file
-tableb   bhanu.xvg  Input, Opt.  xvgr/xmgr file
-rerun    bhanu.xtc  Input, Opt.  Trajectory: xtc trr trj gro g96 pdb cpt
-tpi      bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
-tpid     bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
 -ei      bhanu.edi  Input, Opt.  ED sampling input
 -eo      bhanu.edo  Output, Opt. ED sampling output
  -j      bhanu.gct  Input, Opt.  General coupling stuff
 -jo      bhanu.gct  Output, Opt. General coupling stuff
-ffout    bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
-devout   bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
-runav    bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
 -px      bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
 -pf      bhanu.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
-mtx      bhanu.mtx  Output, Opt. Hessian matrix
 -dn      bhanu.ndx  Output, Opt. Index file

Option       Type   Value   Description
-[no]h       bool   no      Print help info and quit
-nice        int    0       Set the nicelevel
-deffnm      string bhanu   Set the default filename for all file options
-[no]xvgr    bool   yes     Add specific codes (legends etc.) in the output
                            xvg files for the xmgrace program
-[no]pd      bool   no      Use particle decompostion
-dd          vector 0 0 0   Domain decomposition grid, 0 is optimize
-npme        int    -1      Number of separate nodes to be used for PME, -1
                            is guess
-ddorder     enum   interleave  DD node order: interleave, pp_pme or
cartesian
-[no]ddcheck bool   yes     Check for all bonded interactions with DD
-rdd         real   0       The maximum distance for bonded interactions
with
                            DD (nm), 0 is determine from initial coordinates
-rcon        real   0       Maximum distance for P-LINCS (nm), 0 is estimate
-dlb         enum   auto    Dynamic load balancing (with DD): auto, no or
yes
-dds         real   0.8     Minimum allowed dlb scaling of the DD cell size
-[no]sum     bool   yes     Sum the energies at every step
-[no]v       bool   yes     Be loud and noisy
-[no]compact bool   yes     Write a compact log file
-[no]seppot  bool   no      Write separate V and dVdl terms for each
                            interaction type and node to the log file(s)
-pforce      real   -1      Print all forces larger than this (kJ/mol nm)
-[no]reprod  bool   no      Try to avoid optimizations that affect binary
                            reproducibility
-cpt         real   15      Checkpoint interval (minutes)
-[no]append  bool   no      Append to previous output files when restarting
                            from checkpoint
-maxh        real   -1      Terminate after 0.99 times this time (hours)
-multi       int    0       Do multiple simulations in parallel
-replex      int    0       Attempt replica exchange every # steps
-reseed      int    -1      Seed for replica exchange, -1 is generate a seed
-[no]glas    bool   no      Do glass simulation with special long range
                            corrections
-[no]ionize  bool   no      Do a simulation including the effect of an X-Ray
                            bombardment on your system

Getting Loaded...
Reading file bhanu.tpr, VERSION 4.0.3 (double precision)
Loaded with Money

Making 1D domain decomposition 2 x 1 x 1
Steepest Descents:
   Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+01
   Number of steps    =        10000
Step=    0, Dmax= 1.0e-02 nm, Epot=          nan Fmax= 5.33517e+22, atom= 99
Program mdrun_d, VERSION 4.0.3
Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 357

Range checking error:
Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
energy seems reasonable before trying again.

Variable ci has value -2147483607. It should have been within [ 0 .. 280 ]

"One Ripple At a Time" (Bianca's Smut Shack)

Error on node 0, will try to stop all the nodes
Halting parallel program mdrun_d on CPU 0 out of 2

Program mdrun_d, VERSION 4.0.3
Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 357

Range checking error:
Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
energy seems reasonable before trying again.

Variable ci has value -2147483607. It should have been within [ 0 .. 280 ]

"One Ripple At a Time" (Bianca's Smut Shack)

Error on node 1, will try to stop all the nodes
Halting parallel program mdrun_d on CPU 1 out of 2

gcq#142: "One Ripple At a Time" (Bianca's Smut Shack)

One of the processes started by mpirun has exited with a nonzero exit
code.  This typically indicates that the process finished in error.
If your process did not finish in error, be sure to include a "return
0" or "exit(0)" in your C code before exiting the application.

PID 18729 failed on node n0 (127.0.0.1) with exit status 1.

I tried changing the ns-type to simple, from Grid.. no success yet! Any
suggestions friends???

Bhanu Prakash.