[gmx-users] make install 'only suffix append binaries'

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 18 17:07:19 CEST 2009

Alan wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I would like to know if there's an option in gromacs Makefile that
> would allow me to once did:
>
> ./configure --disable-float --program-suffix="_d" --enable-shared
> make
>
> Then install only the binaries created with suffix "_d".
>
> I am not sure if 'make install-exec' would do it or if there's something else.

I've no idea if that works, but it's straightforward to make a dummy
install location and use configure --prefix=/that/dummy/location and see
what gets put there.

> The reason is I want to create a Fink package for 'gromacs-double',
> but if doing a normal 'make install' I will have conflict with files
> like '/sw/bin/GMXRC' that are essentially the same for both
> gromacs-simple or gromacs-double.

Fair enough. How about listing gromacs-single and gromacs-double in the
other's Conflicts and Replaces fink fields?
http://www.finkproject.org/doc/packaging/reference.php?phpLang=en#fields
That might just work and have no problems.

Also, I suggest making a bugzilla with your fink scripts attached when
you have them working, since they may as well get put in the GROMACS
admin subdirectory for future use.