[gmx-users] Final Temp = 303 K ?

XAvier Periole x.periole at rug.nl
Fri Jun 19 08:59:12 CEST 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 11:57 PM, Chih-Ying Lin wrote:

> Hi
> Here is my whole md.mdp.
> But the final Temp = 303 K
> No matter I extend the simulation time, the final Temp = 303 K and it
> can not reach the ref_t = 300 K
>
> Does it make sense?
Yes unfortunately the 303 K is what you should expect. This is
small deviation that results from some approximation made. This
is the best you can get. It is fine.

If you want you can play a bit with the cutoff options you have and
see the effect. For exemple you have a 9-1.4 nm twing-range
cutoff and you update every 5 steps. Reducing the update to 1
would certainly reduce the 303 closer to 300 K. And also reducing
1.4 to 1.2 nm should have the same effect. This is due to the
  fact that you update the forces for atoms within 9-1.4 only every 5
steps.

check the literature and google on cutoff effect ... you'll find a lot
on it.