[gmx-users] Problem in energy minimization for a empty membrane system

Bing Bing jarbing09 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 15:25:05 CEST 2009

Hi Justin,
I've tried with no restraint and the minimization stopped at the same time.
I actually suspect that the restraint is not working at all. My top file is
as below:-
#include "ffG53a6_lipid.itp"
#include "popc.itp"
#ifdef POSRES
#include "posres_popc.itp"
#endif
#ifdef FLEX_SPC
#include "flexspc.itp"
#else
#include "spc.itp"
#endif

[ system ]
; name
Pure POPC bilayer with 128 lipids 2460 water

[ molecules ]
; name  number
POPC    128
SOL    2460

my posres_popc.itp is as below:-
[ position_restraints ]
; atom  type      fx      fy      fz
     1     1  1000  1000  1000
    51     1  1000  1000  1000
    52     1  1000  1000  1000

my mdp file as below :-
define = -DPOSRES
integrator = steep
emtol = 1000
emstep = 0.01
nsteps = 100
rlist = 1.2
coulombtype = PME
rcoulomb = 1.2
rvdw = 1.2
constraints = none

May i know that is the top, posres and also the mdp file correctly done?
And by looking at the log file in the previous mail, is it confirm that it
manage to read the restraint file?
The starting structure is taken from Peter Tielemen website and what i did
is editconf to make box and i didn't solvate because the starting structure
come together with water. I'm not sure this is the correct way of doing it.
Please advice.

Thanks in advance.
Bing