[gmx-users] Regarding the broken compiler gcc 4.1.x

Jussi Lehtola jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi
Thu May 14 09:59:24 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 12:13 +0530, rashmi_chem at iitb.ac.in wrote:
> Dear gmxusers,
>
> The warning on the GROMACS download page says :
>
> WARNING: do not use the gcc 4.1.x set of compilers. They are broken. These
> compilers come with recent Linux distrubutions like Fedora 5/6 etc.
>

> So I installed CentOS 4.3 with gcc 3.4.5 and Fedora 10 with gcc 4.3.2 on
> two different machines with same configuration( quad core dual xeon
> machine clock 2 GHz). In both the machines Gromacs-4.0.4 was installed and
> tetsed using corresponding gmxtest set. Many tests failed as following:
>
> 16 out of 63 kernel tests FAILED
>  pdb2gmx tests PASSED
>

> But when the same tests were performed on CentOS 5.0 with "gcc 4.1.2" (so
> called "broken compiler"), all tests passed except one.

You're talking of CentOS 4.3 and 5.0, both are obsolete: you should
update to 4.7 and 5.3, respectively.

> Are gcc 4.1.x series of compilers still broken? because the message on
> gromacs download page is quite old.

RedHat has backported a lot of fixes into their gcc, and thus the CentOS
version works.
Jussi Lehtola, FM, Tohtorikoulutettava
Fysiikan laitos, Helsingin Yliopisto
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi, p. 191 50632
Mr. Jussi Lehtola, M. Sc., Doctoral Student
Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi