[gmx-users] Re: MD with RMSD restraint

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue May 19 09:31:30 CEST 2009

Sam Moors wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Position restraints do not allow me to do what I want.
> For instance, I want to allow the system to freely explore the
> conformational space within a certain RMSD range, but not evolve beyond
> a specified RMSD cutoff.
> Another application would be to push the system conformation away from
> the reference structure, by using negative force constants.
> Therefore the reference structure should be fitted to the simulation
> structure (or the other way around) before calculating the position
> differences.

Then you have to derive a force that is the derivative of the RMSD with
respect to the positions. This may be difficult, since you have the
superposition step in between.  What you could do straight away is move
from normal RMSD to distance-based RMSD, in which case the this has been
implemented using distance restraints. You would use genrestr to
generate the additional topology input, then determine a suitable force
constant and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers.