[gmx-users] gromacs on glacier.westgrid.ca

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 19 22:41:23 CEST 2009

Payman Pirzadeh wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> Following is the script I use. But remember several points:
> 1. I compiled the gmx with double precision and did not rename the code to
> mpi. I kept whatever was produced with _d suffix.

"Whatever was produced" does not inspire confidence.  You're sure that
--enable-mpi was used during configuration, right?

> 2. I use the same script for other codes and they work (I am using other MD
> code for special purposes and a QM code as well).

There has to be something different about this one.  If everything worked, we
wouldn't be having this conversation :)

> 3. This script follows the guidelines of glacier as well. It is available
> online at http://www.westgrid.ca/support/quickstart/glacier
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #PBS -S /bin/bash
>
> # Torque script for running an MPI program pn on glacier
> # 2005-05-26 DSP
>
> # This presumes code compiled with the Intel compiler.
> # For example:
>
> # /global/software/mpich-1.2.5.2/ssh/bin/mpif90 pn.f -o pn
>
> #PBS -N sixsite-test
> #PBS -l walltime=240:00:00
> #PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=2
> #PBS -l qos=parallel
>
> MPIRUN="/global/software/mpich-1.2.5.2/ssh/bin/mpirun"
>
> cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
> echo "Current working directory is `pwd`"
>
> echo "Node file: $PBS_NODEFILE :"
> echo "---------------------"
> cat $PBS_NODEFILE
> echo "---------------------"
> NUM_PROCS=`/bin/awk 'END {print NR}' $PBS_NODEFILE`
> echo "Running on $NUM_PROCS processors."
>
> echo "Starting run at: `date`"
> ${MPIRUN} -np $NUM_PROCS -machinefile $PBS_NODEFILE -path
> ./global/home/pirzadeh/gromacs-4.0.4/bin/mdrun_d -deffnm npttest
> echo "Job finished at: `date`"

Based on the error messages, it appears that mpirun is interpreting everything
you have specified as a command line argument (the call to mdrun_d, -deffnm,
npttest).  We have the same version of mpirun on our cluster, and -path does not
appear to be a valid argument.  Perhaps try something like:

MDRUN="/global/home/prizadeh/gromacs-4.0.4/bin/mdrun_d -deffnm npttest"

${MPIRUN} -np $NUM_PROCS -machinefile $PBS_NODEFILE ${MDRUN}

-Justin

> Payman

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate