[gmx-users] Re: pdb2gmx file error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 20 19:10:23 CEST 2009

Please keep all Gromacs-related correspondence on the gmx-users list; I do not
advertise as a free tutor :)

yimnai forlemu wrote:
> Hi Justin
> I am trying to prep a pdb file for md but keep on getting this error message
>
> Fatal error:
> Chain identifier 'O' was used in two non-sequential blocks (residue
> 2400, atom 18726)
> Fatal error:
>
> But when I look at the file I only have one chain identifier.

Then something is either incorrectly formatted, or you are not finding the real
problem.  Look at the line pdb2gmx is pointing to, and see here:

http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Errors#Chain_identifier_.27X.27_was_used_in_two_non-sequential_blocks

> Also when I strip off hydrogens and run pdb2gmx again this is the error
> I get
> Fatal error:
> Atom CB not found in residue VAL20 while adding hydrogens

You have a broken structure.  Check the header of the .pdb file for MISSING
entries.  Also, refer here:

http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Errors#Long_bonds_and.2For_missing_atoms

Most errors that new users face can be found in wiki entries, or by searching
the list archive.

-Justin