[gmx-users] bond, angle and dihedral restraints in Gromacs

Rebeca García Fandiño regafan at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 14:09:11 CEST 2009

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
 Actually, I am trying to
reproduce the results from another publication (JACS 2005, 127, 7166)
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ja050044d where they used
Gromacs/amber to simulate a CNT. They apply: "Carbon−carbon bond lengths of 0.14 nm and bond angles of 120° were
maintained by harmonic potentials with spring constants of 393 960 kJ
mol-1 nm-2 and 527 kJ mol-1 deg-2 before relaxation. In addition, a weak dihedral angle potential was applied to bonded carbon atoms."

So, as I understand, they apply RESTRAINTS to the bonds, angles and dihedrals.

I have tried to construct the [distance_restraints] for my system (I show you here a little part):

[ distance_restraints ]
; atom1  atom2  type  index  type2  low   up1   up2   fac
1 310 1 1 1 0.142 0.146 0.150 1.0
2 290 1 2 1 0.142 0.146 0.150 1.0
3 291 1 3 1 0.142 0.146 0.150 1.0
(...)

but
I don' t understand very well which value should I write for "low
up1   up2". The manual says that "the columns low, up1 and up2 hold the
values of r0 , r1 and r2 from eqn. 4.76", but looking at this equation
I still don' t understand which should be the better values for my
case. I have looked into the mail archive, and some other people asked
for that, but I did not find any proper solution.
How could I choose the best values for "low   up1   up2" to restrain my bond values to 1.42 Amstrong?

The
other question is about angle restraints, I have found indications in
the wiki of how to treat the dihedral restraints
(http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Dihedral_Restraints), however I did
not find any similar for the angle restraints. I have seen in the mail
archive that 2 pairs of atoms should be used, but I did not find
anything to trust in. Could you please give me some indications of how
to treat angle restraints?

Thank you very much,

Best wishes,

Rebeca Garcia