[gmx-users] bond, angle and dihedral restraints in Gromacs

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri May 22 14:18:44 CEST 2009

Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
> Thank you very much for the suggestion.
>  Actually, I am trying to reproduce the results from another publication
> (JACS 2005, 127, 7166) http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ja050044d
> where they used Gromacs/amber to simulate a CNT. They apply:
> "Carbon−carbon bond lengths of 0.14 nm and bond angles of 120° were
> maintained by harmonic potentials with spring constants of 393 960 kJ
> mol^- ^1 nm^- ^2 and 527 kJ mol^- ^1 deg^- ^2 before relaxation. In
> addition, a weak dihedral angle potential was applied to bonded carbon
> atoms.^"

A harmonic potential is simply defined as bond type 1 (manual section 4.2.1),
and similarly for angles (section 4.2.5).  For the bonds, you can specify, i.e.:

[ bonds ]
1   2   1   0.14   393960

Note that Gromacs uses kJ mol^-1 rad^-2 for angle force constants.  The
information about the dihedrals is vague, so I can't make any suggestion there.

> So, as I understand, they apply RESTRAINTS to the bonds, angles and
> dihedrals.
>
> I have tried to construct the [distance_restraints] for my system (I
> show you here a little part):
>
> [ distance_restraints ]
> ; atom1  atom2  type  index  type2  low   up1   up2   fac
> 1 310 1 1 1 0.142 0.146 0.150 1.0
> 2 290 1 2 1 0.142 0.146 0.150 1.0
> 3 291 1 3 1 0.142 0.146 0.150 1.0
> (...)
>
> but  I don' t understand very well which value should I write for "low
> up1   up2". The manual says that "the columns low, up1 and up2 hold the
> values of r0 , r1 and r2 from eqn. 4.76", but looking at this equation I
> still don' t understand which should be the better values for my case. I
> have looked into the mail archive, and some other people asked for that,
> but I did not find any proper solution.
> How could I choose the best values for "low   up1   up2" to restrain my
> bond values to 1.42 Amstrong?

These are distances that determine the restoring force to maintain a distance.
Figure 4.13 is perhaps a bit more illustrative of how they should be
interpreted, but again I don't believe that you will need distance restraints to
apply a simple harmonic potential.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate