[gmx-users] Re: solution molecules cannot be set by mdrun after neutralization

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 26 19:29:35 CEST 2009

Stefano Meliga wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I've tryed to perform the same preprocessing and EM steps without
> distance constraints and the situation improves a lot.
> I get no warnings in the steepest descent EM and only one molecule
> cannot be set in the conjugate gradient EM.
> Can you see the reason?

Were you constraining bond lengths or using position restraints?  You've
combined the terminology (restraints and constraints are separate ideas in Gromacs).

LINCS warnings and related problems are discussed extensively in the list
archive (with potential solutions!) as well as on the wiki:

http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Errors#LINCS.2FSETTLE.2FSHAKE_warnings

If the problem arises only after adding ions, inspect the location of ion
insertion.  Since it is random, ions may have been placed in an unfavorable
location, causing them (or a nearby water molecule) to go careening through the
simulation cell.  That happened to me once :)

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar