[gmx-users] Lennard-Jones 9-6 potential problems

zhangjianguo2002 zhangjianguo2002 at 126.com
Wed May 27 09:33:18 CEST 2009

>zhangjianguo2002 wrote:
>>

>>    Firstly, thanks Berk and David van der Spoel for your replies. Maybe
>> I have not explain my problems clearly, there is only one type of
>> particle,namely one full-atom benzene molecule is replaced by one
>> coarse-grained benzene particle,so there in no non-bonded interactions
>> between different types and comb-rule may not work.
>> in the [ defaults ] section of the ITP file, the defaults power for the
>> repulsion term is 12, if I change it to 9, is that enough  if I want to
>> use LJ-9-6 potential? is there still anything needed to be changed?
>>
>That is not enough. Please read carefully our previous answers.

Thanks very much for your suggestions! I just want to use LJ-9-6 potential by providing sigma and epsilon parameters, that would be easer to change the potential by changing sigma and epsilon values than by changing potential table, does GROMACS support this ? or does GROMACS only support potential tables if the power of the repulsion term is not 12 ?

>> Best regards!
>>

>>     >Hi,
>>     >
>>     >I forgot about this feature.
>>     >Your problem is indeed that you used comb-rule=1,
>>     >you have to use 2 or 3 to make this work.
>>     >And indeed you should use user tables filled with the 9-6 potential.
>>     >
>>     >Gromacs could actually easily support p-6 tables with any value for p,
>>     >by storing p in the tpr file and automatically using tables when p!=12.
>>     >

Thanks for your reply, do you mean that if p !=12 ,I have to change p to the value I want ,at the same time I have to provide a potential table according to LJ-P-6?

>>     >Berk
>>     >
>>     >> Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:45:22 +0200
>>     >> From: spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se <mailto:spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
>>     >> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>>     >> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Lennard-Jones 9-6 potential problems
>>     >>
>>     >> zhangjianguo2002 wrote:
>>     >> > Hi everyone!
>>     >> >   Have anyone used the Lennard-Jones 9-6 potential for  coarse-grained
>>     >> > models? when I use it, I get a very different result from  that is got
>>     >> > from the same Lennard-Jones 9-6 potential  formed a potential table,the
>>     >> > latter's results are comparable to the experiments. when I use LJ-9-6
>>     >> > potential,the ITP file  is as following:
>>     >> >
>>     >> >   [ defaults ]
>>     >> > ; nbfunc        comb-rule       gen-pairs       fudgeLJ fudgeQQ
>>     >> >    1             1               no              1.0     1.0     9
>>     >>
>>     >> Even if this may generate the correct parameters (please use gmxdump to
>>     >> check your tpr file) you still have to provide a user table to mdrun and
>>     >> to set vdw-type = user in your mdp file. You may need to change the
>>     >> nbfunc to three as well. Check source code in src/kernel/convparm to see
>>     >> what is going on.  I don't think this is documented anywhere, is it?
>>     >>

Thanks very much for your advice! According to you , I provide a user table( Does this mean that LJ'parameters epsilon and sigma setted in the ITP file don't work ? ) and set vdw-type = user as well as change nbfunc to three ,but grompp reports some errors that : "Invalid nonbond function selector '3' using LJ",I read the manual again,it says : non-bond type =1(Lennaed-Jones) or 2(Buckingham), that is seemed that 3 is a illegal choice, is there something wrong?