[gmx-users] Twin range cut-off's: rlist and rvdw

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Wed May 27 15:22:14 CEST 2009

Hi,

I don't think it matters much if you put the cut-off at a minimum in the rdf.
The real issue is that the force is not updated beyond the cut-off,
while the atoms there still move. You want as little motion,
of better as little change in force due to the motion of the atoms
as possible. The solution to this is to increase the cut-off as much
as possible, but this is computationally unfavourable.

I should also note the all versions of Gromacs up till now use
a very simplistic twin-cut off setup with an integrator which
is not reversible. This can lead to significant energy increase in the system.
Therefore twin-range cut-off should not be used for Coulomb interactions,
only for Lennard-Jones, where the forces are anyhow very small.
We might consider implementing a proper multiple time step integrator for
version 4.1 or 4.2.

Berk