[gmx-users] Re: Unexplained crashes with Gromacs-4.0 & Neighbor Searching

Inon Sharony InonShar at TAU.ac.IL
Thu May 28 15:17:09 CEST 2009

(Thanks, Justin)

I'm using GMX 4.0.4 compiled in double-precision. I perform an equilibrating run, which goes well (300K). Then I perform a cooling run which is identical except that one of the atoms is coupled to a bath at 0K, where I get the following error message:

Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 357

Range checking error:
Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
energy seems reasonable before trying again.

Variable ci has value -2147483648. It should have been within [ 0 .. 216 ]

I also turned off Dynamic Load Balancing, in the hope that this might help, but alas...

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong, and how I could check for it/them?

--
Inon   Sharony
ינון     שרוני

Quoting "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu>:

> Hi Inon,
>
> Berk implemented the fix for the release of version 4.0.2; it has
> been fixed for quite some time.
>
> The bugzilla entry is #229 if you would like to read the details of
> the problem and the solution.
>
> -Justin
>
> Inon Sharony wrote:
>>

>> Hi Justin!
>>
>> Just wondering - do you know whether the problem with Range Checking
>> got corrected somehow?
>>
>> I checked the bugzilla but found no report of your bug.
>>
>> My system's energy minimized to a force of 1E-9, so I don't think
>> that's where my problem is...
>>
>> I understand that I might disable Dynamic Load Balancing to fix this
>> or somehow get around the Domain Decomposition (I don't know how to
>> do the latter). How did you deal with the problem?
>>
>> (There was also some talk about barostats, so I just want to make
>> sure that you know I'm not using one)
>>
>> --
>> Inon   Sharony
>> ינון     שרוני
>> +972(3)6407634
>> atto.TAU.ac.IL/~inonshar
>> Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing
>> this e-mail.

> Justin A. Lemkul
> Ph.D. Candidate
> ICTAS Doctoral Scholar