[gmx-users] Shared library version binary on CYGWIN

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri May 29 08:44:04 CEST 2009

Makoto Yoneya wrote:
> Dear Mark and GMX users:
>
> Mark wrote:
>> Where did cyggmx-4.dll come from? What build tools are you using?
>> No GROMACS distribution version of src/gmxlib/Makefile.in has such a
>> make target - I checked 3.3.1, 3.3.3 and 4.0.5. What conditions induced
>> its creation?
>
> Could you try a tiny patch,
> http://staff.aist.go.jp/makoto-yoneya/MDonWINPC/gromacs-3.3.3-cygwin-shared.
> patch
> , at the gromacs-3.3.3 dir and then,
> ./configure --without-x --with-fft=fftpack --enable-shared
> and make.

OK that worked for 3.3.3 - I got a 1.8MB cyggmx-4.dll installed along
with a working 600K mdrun. The catch is that this extra "-no-undefined"
is an argument to libtool, rather than the underlying linker. You can
use "./configure CFLAGS=blah LDFLAGS=blahblah" to pass things to the
compiler and linker, but I don't know of technique to pass things to
libtool without the editing you suggest. I'll see if I can figure
something out, check it on 4.0.5 and wikify the outcome.