[gmx-users] Lennard Jones Parameters for Ammonia in ffoplsaa

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Nov 1 08:20:26 CET 2009

Darrell Koskinen wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> I thought opls_127 and opls_128 were the representative atoms to use for
> ammonia. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know anything more than what's in ffoplsa* files or the papers.

> Would the adsorption of the polar ammonia molecule onto the polar
> (hydrogen-terminated) edges of the graphene sheet be affected by the
> missing LJ parameter on the H atoms?

Define "missing". If it is zero by design, that's because zero served
the purpose during the parameterization, and the documentation as quoted
by you is perhaps erroneous with respect to small molecules. If it
oplsa_128 should have non-zero LJ then you'll need to find more evidence
of that in the OPLSAA papers, or by consulting the authors. Note that
most models of water do not have LJ on the H atoms, and so not having LJ
on H atoms of solvated ammonia is probably quite consistent.

Doesn't this bring us back to the point of quite a while ago, that an
ammonia model that was probably not parameterized for the gas phase
might not be useful in the gas phase?

Mark