[gmx-users] PMF and Gromacs 4

Rebeca García Fandiño regafan at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 1 15:27:19 CET 2009

 Hi,

I am trying to calculate the PMF of an ion with Gromacs 4. I have read in the Gromacs list that the pull code had been completely rewritten in the new version of Gromacs, but I cannot find much information about the new way to use this.
Reading the manual (pag 280) I can see: “The options -pi, -po, -pd, -pn are used for potential of mean force calculations and umbrella sampling. See manual.”

So, I prepared a tpr and a .ppa file and tried the calculation and used (for example for one window):

source /gpfs/apps/GROMACS/gromacs-4.0.2/bin/GMXRC
srun -n 8 mdrun_s -v -stepout 1000 -s NA-0.0250.tpr -pi NA-0.0250.ppa -po pullout.ppa -pn NA-0.0250.ndx -pd -deffnm NA-0.0250
gzip NA-0.0250.pdo

Being NA-0.0250.ppa:

verbose   = yes
runtype   = umbrella
pulldim   = N N Y
reftype   = com
reference_group = UNK

group_1   = Na_-0.025

K1        = 970.86;           ; kJ / (mol nm^2)
Pos1      = 0.000 0.000 -0.025  ; centre of the umbrella potential

I don´t get any errors during the calculation, however, I did not get any out files such as *.pdo.

I only get the *cpt, *trr, *log and *edr files after the calculation, but no signal of *pdo.

Does anyboy had used Gromacs 4 for calculating PMF? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best wishes,

Rebeca Garcia.
Santiago de Compostela University
Spain.

Entra al Nuevo Canal Motor y descubre por qué los coches más rápidos sólo aparcan en MSN. Nuevo diseño, más completo y abierto a tu opinión. ¡Nuevo Canal Motor!
¿Estás fuera de temporada? Entra ya en Nueva Temporada y entérate antes que nadie de sobre famosos, moda, belleza y el look que se lleva este otoño.
http://events.es.msn.com/entretenimiento/nueva-temporada/vuelta-al-cole/