[gmx-users] Determining density of a gas in a simulation

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 6 09:50:48 CET 2009

Darrell Koskinen wrote:
> Dear GROMACS Gurus,
> I wanted to determine the density of the ammonia gas in my simulation
> and compare this to the reference values and thought I could use
> g_density for this purpose. I recall being told that I need to perform a
> NPT simulation and achieve equilibrium. How do I perform an NPT
> simulation? I assume this means that I fix the number of molecules, the
> pressure, and the temperature. The number of molecules is definitely
> fixed and I define the temperature in my .mdp file through
> "ref_t           =240    240". Is this the way in which to set the
> temperature in an NPT simulation? I do not currently specify any
> pressure in my simulation. Do I need to set the pressure as well through
> a ref_p setting? And does the ref_p setting simply need to satisfy the
> ideal gas equation for the specified N, T, & V?

P and T can't be "set". You can have an ensemble whose average over a
long period has a value. You can use an algorithm to move them closer to
a desired equilibrium value if the instantaneous one differs. See the
manual for more information. Doing some tutorial material and some
background reading sounds like a good idea, too.

> And how do I determine when equilibrium is achieved? Should the
> potential energy of the system or some other value stabilize to within
> some deviation of the absolute value? If so, what would would be the
> acceptable limit of this deviation ... 5% of the value? Other percentage?

It depends - there's no hard-and-fast rule and it will vary with which
observables you intend to measure.