[gmx-users] Determining density of a gas in a simulation

Darrell Koskinen darrellk at ece.ubc.ca
Sat Nov 7 01:06:56 CET 2009

Hi Mark,
I took a look at a tutorial where they perform an NPT simulation (http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/prodrg/gmx.pdf, page 11) and it appears to me that they simply ran the simulation with pressure and tempurature coupling "on" for a sufficient amount of time to reach equilibrium.

I also searched in the GROMACS manual for NPT and came across the following:
/"The generally more useful Gibbs free energy G is related to the partition function
 of an N, p, T ensemble, which is assumed to be the equilibrium ensemble generated by a MD
simulation at constant pressure and temperature"./
This appears to indicate that in order to run an NPT simulation, we simply need to maintain constant temperature and pressure, which I assume simply means letting the system reach equilibrium, since, at equilibrium, the temnperature and pressure will be reasonably constant.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Best regards,

Darrell