[gmx-users] Constraints & Restraints

Ran Friedman r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Thu Nov 12 14:16:06 CET 2009

Erik Marklund wrote:
> Mark Abraham skrev:
>> Darrell Koskinen wrote:
>>> Hi Tsjerk,
>>> So then, if I understand correctly, setting "constraints =
>>> all-bonds" is not as realistic as setting "constraints = none",
>>> since the latter will allow for flexible (e.g. harmonic) behavoir
>>> which is more realistic than fixing the bond to a certain distance,
>>> correct?
>>
>> Actually not. It would be a better model of a harmonic potential
>> (duh), but it has been shown that the use of constraints can lead to
>> a (more?) acceptable model of a real system, and they allow a larger
>> integration time to boot. Check out the papers for the constraint
>> algorithms (refs in GROMACS manual).
>>
>> Mark
>>
> Agreed. And this is especially true for hydrogen atoms as I understand
> it, since their behaviour as quantum particles deviate more from a
> classical treatment than is the case for heavier nuclei. This is
> mentioned in the gromacs manual.
>
> /Erik
This depends on the system you study. In some cases it is necessary not
to constrain the hydrogen atoms to get a better agreement with the
experiment. Also,  if one needs to deal with vibrational spectra
involving hydrogens, they must be mobile.

Ran.

Ran Friedman
Postdoctoral Fellow
Computational Structural Biology Group (A. Caflisch)
Department of Biochemistry
University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland