[gmx-users] Constraints & Restraints

Darrell Koskinen darrellk at ece.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 12 23:57:24 CET 2009

Thanks for the additional comments.

So given that, in my system, I have H atoms attached to C atoms on the perimeter of a finite graphene sheet that is placed above multiple infinite layers of graphene (graphite), would it be more appropriate to use: (i) a classical (harmonic) model using constraints=none or (ii) a constrained model using constraints=all-bonds?

Note that, currently, I use constraints=none and see that the C atoms in the graphene sheet are well behaved and not vibrating very much, but the H atoms on the perimeter are vibrating wildly. Would you have any idea of whether this is natural and to be expected or not? Maybe this is an indication that constraints should be used in this particular model. However, I have no idea whether it is natural for hydrogen atoms to flip and flop around so much on the edge of a graphene sheet.

Your comments are appreciated.

Darrell