[gmx-users] FEP with bond formation, pair problem

Jochen Hub jochen at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Nov 19 17:11:45 CET 2009

David van der Spoel wrote:
> Berk Hess wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There are automatically different, since they are based on the A and
>> B state charges
>> and the A and B state atom types.
>
> But the problem is more complicated:
>
> Let's say there is a Butane radical C4H9. that you want to bond to
> another butane radical to form octane (C8H18). Then the interactions
> that are non-bonded in the A state are excluded in the B state and
> replaced by pair interactions.
>
> Is this supported in some way?

Actually for the LJ part that is supported. The solution is to turn the
normal non-bonded LJ in part A into pairs and explicitly give the
standart sigma/epsion as A, and zero sigma/epsilon (for 1-2 and 1-3 in
B), or scaled (for 1-4 in B) as B state parameters.

So far so good. But can the same be done for the colomb 1-4 interactions
in the B state? The problem arises since the 1-4 coulomb interactions
are scaled down by 1.2 in the AMBER FF, so I need different 1-4 coulomb
interactions in A and B.

In principle that problem should be in any FEP calculation which
includes the formation of a bond.

Jochen