[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 67, Issue 110 (How to make carbon nanotube infinite?)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 20 12:53:23 CET 2009

Cun Zhang wrote:
> Hi, Justin.
> Thank you for your help! I was intended to reply the third question
> after I retryed the simulation under your advice,but I haven't enough time
> to do it. It's too late :)
>
> Just now, I do a simulation. All seems ok. I will check it again.
>
> Thank you again!
>
> Cun Zhang
>
>      >  >pymol b4em.pdb # I write a python script to remove the SOL
>     molecules
>      > in the Carbon nanotube.
>
>     Are there any solvent molecules interfering with the cross-boundary
>     bonds?
>

> No.I use pymol to remove all residues which is far from the egdes 0.7A .

OK.

>      >  >editconf -f b4em.pdb -o b4em.gro -box 3.8 3.8 5.614 #rebuild
>     the box.
>
>     Why are you doing this?
>

> The b4em.pdb generated by genbox have no information about box size. So
> I use editconf to generate it.

That is not true.  Gromacs can handle a number of coordinate file types, and box
dimensions are written to the CRYST1 line in the .pdb file.  You should never
have to re-define your box unless you are doing some very advanced manipulations
(which you are not, in the case of simply solvating a structure).

>      > NOTE 1 [file CNT.top, line unknown]:
>      >   The largest charge group contains 32 atoms.
>      >   Since atoms only see each other when the centers of geometry of
>     the charge
>      >   groups they belong to are within the cut-off distance, too
>     large charge
>      >   groups can lead to serious cut-off artifacts.
>      >   For efficiency and accuracy, charge group should consist of a
>     few atoms.
>      >   For all-atom force fields use: CH3, CH2, CH, NH2, NH, OH, CO2,
>     CO, etc.
>      >

>     Pay attention to this note.  A charge group of 32 atoms is huge.
>

> So what's your suggestion about the number of a charge group?

The note from grompp is quite detailed, and even gives examples of appropriate
charge group sizes.

> Blog: http://blog.4message.net

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate