[gmx-users] How to make carbon nanotube infinite?

Cun Zhang apzc2529 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:00:36 CET 2009

hi, Justin. Thank you for your patience !

I'm still in trouble with infinite CNT simulation.

I'm trying to simulate the interaction of  a infinite (16,0) CNT(CNT_A) with
832 atoms and water. I'm using x2top to generate the CNT.itp with
share-bonds. The idea is that I generate a (16,0) CNT(CNT_B) with 960 atoms
( more 4 layer  than CNT_A. Each layer has 32 atoms ).
When I use CNT.itp generated by  CNT_A and x2top, it works. But when I use
the CNT.itp which has share-bonds information, it can't work.

The process I'm doing CNT simulation is as follows:
# the CNT_new.pdb is a (16,0) CNT with 960 atoms.
# I add the custom forcefield parameters to tmp.top, and change the number
of a charge group to 32, then rename it CNT.itp at the end.

x2top -f CNT_new.pdb -o tmp.top -ff gmx -nopbc -nopairs -noparam -name CNT

bash sharebond_script   # create share bonds

editconf -f CNT.pdb -o -box 3.8 3.8 5.614

genbox -cp out -cs -p CNT -o b4em.pdb  #The simulation box size can be seen
in b4em.pdb

pymol b4em.pdb  #remove water. After editing it,I save it as b4em.pdb
too.Now the information about box size is losing. I don't know why.I'm not
familar with it :)

editconf -f b4em.pdb -o b4em -box 3.8 3.8 5.614 # Add the information about
box size
vim CNT.top     #change the number of water to make it the same as b4em.pdb
grompp -f em -o em -c b4em -p CNT -maxwarn 5
mpirun -np 4 mdrun_mpi -v -s em -e em -o em -c after_em
grompp -f grompp -o pr -c after_em -p CNT -maxwarn 5
mpirun -np 4 mdrun_mpi -v -s pr -e pr -o pr -c after_pr

The sharebond_scrip code:

#!/bin/bash
sed -e '/^ *83[3-9].*UNK/d' -e '/^ *8[4-9][0-9].*UNK/d' -e '/^
*9[0-9][0-9].*UNK/d'  CNT.itp >tmp # remove the atoms whose number is larger
than 832 in [ atoms ].
for((i=833;i<=960;i=i+1))   # change the number(i) of atoms which is larger
than 832 to i-832.
do
    j=$((i-832))
    L='   '
    j=${L:1:N}$j
    sed -i "s/ $i / $j /" tmp
done
awk '!a[$0]++' tmp>CNT.itp # make the CNT.itp file have no repetitive rows

I upload a log file for more information in there (
http://4message.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/CNT.tar.bz2 )

Blog: http://blog.4message.net