[gmx-users] Re: How to make carbon nanotube infinite?

Cun Zhang apzc2529 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 02:32:26 CET 2009

Thank you, Justin !

 I have add the output generated by grompp and mdrun at the end.

> Cun Zhang wrote:
> > hi, Justin. Thank you for your patience !
> >
> > I'm still in trouble with infinite CNT simulation.
> >
> > I'm trying to simulate the interaction of  a infinite (16,0) CNT(CNT_A)
> > with 832 atoms and water. I'm using x2top to generate the CNT.itp with
> > share-bonds. The idea is that I generate a (16,0) CNT(CNT_B) with 960
> > atoms ( more 4 layer  than CNT_A. Each layer has 32 atoms ).
> > When I use CNT.itp generated by  CNT_A and x2top, it works. But when I
> > use the CNT.itp which has share-bonds information, it can't work.
> >

> > The process I'm doing CNT simulation is as follows:
> > # the CNT_new.pdb is a (16,0) CNT with 960 atoms.
> > # I add the custom forcefield parameters to tmp.top, and change the
> > number of a charge group to 32, then rename it CNT.itp at the end.
> >
> > x2top -f CNT_new.pdb -o tmp.top -ff gmx -nopbc -nopairs -noparam -name
> > CNT
> >
> > bash sharebond_script   # create share bonds
> >

> The script below is renumbering and removing atoms.  Why are you doing
> this?  I
> thought the purpose of CNT_new was to generate a larger structure?

I hope generate sharing bonds between the atoms at the top edge and the
atoms at the bottom edge of CNT by x2top. But the parameter -pbc does not
work. So I add 4 layers at the top of CNT.pdb and rename it CNT_new.pdb,
that is, the front 832 rows of them are same.

The  atoms of No. 833-960 in CNT_new.pdb can be seen the bottom 4 layers of
atoms of No.1-128 of CNT.pdb translated up a box hight. So after generating
the topology file and renaming atoms of No. 833-960 to No.1-128 in the
topology file (use the command 'x2top -nopbc') the topology file  of
CNT_new.pdb should be the same as the topology file of CNT.pdb with sharing
bonds (and angles, diherals) ( use the command 'x2top -pbc' ).

That's why I write that script.  Hope you understand what I mean. Of course,
The other reason is that I'm not familar with how to generate CNT's topology
file, so I use x2top to do it. That's easier relatively.

> > editconf -f CNT.pdb -o -box 3.8 3.8 5.614
> >

> Now you are manipulating CNT.pdb - is this the correct next step?  If this
> actually pertains to CNT_new.pdb, then the box size is insufficient to hold
> the
> larger structure.  But now I'm just confused as to what you're doing.

This is the information when I run this command. I think it's ok.

system size :  1.270  1.270  5.472 (nm)
center      : -0.000  0.000  2.736 (nm)
box vectors :  0.000  0.000  0.000 (nm)
box angles  :   0.00   0.00   0.00 (degrees)
box volume  :   0.00               (nm^3)
shift       :  1.900  1.900  0.071 (nm)
new center      :  1.900  1.900  2.807 (nm)
new box vectors :  3.800  3.800  5.614 (nm)
new box angles  :  90.00  90.00  90.00 (degrees)
new box volume  :  81.07               (nm^3)

> > genbox -cp out -cs -p CNT -o b4em.pdb  #The simulation box size can be
>
> > seen in b4em.pdb
> >
> > pymol b4em.pdb  #remove water. After editing it,I save it as b4em.pdb
> > too.Now the information about box size is losing. I don't know why.I'm
> > not familar with it :)
> >
> > editconf -f b4em.pdb -o b4em -box 3.8 3.8 5.614 # Add the information
> > about box size
> > vim CNT.top     #change the number of water to make it the same as
> b4em.pdb
> > grompp -f em -o em -c b4em -p CNT -maxwarn 5
> > mpirun -np 4 mdrun_mpi -v -s em -e em -o em -c after_em
>
> Does energy minimization work?  What did the potential energy and maximum
> force
> converge to?  Again, what is the purpose of "-maxwarn 5"?  Are there errors
> that
> grompp is generating that you are simply trying to bypass?  This is
> generally a
> bad idea.

 Yes, EM work.
Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 9 steps
Potential Energy  = -9.5444641e+04
Maximum force     =  8.6610358e+02 on atom 832
Norm of force     =  2.2713820e+02

There are two notes,no warnings,no errors when grompp.
When I run the MD,errors come:
500000 steps,    250.0 ps.
There were 64 inconsistent shifts. Check your topology
step 0
t = 0.003 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 7226 can not be settled.
Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates

t = 0.004 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 7217 can not be settled.
Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates

Program mdrun, VERSION 4.0.5
Source code file: ../../../../src/mdlib/nsgrid.c, line: 357

Range checking error:
Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
energy seems reasonable before trying again.

Variable ci has value -2147483648. It should have been within [ 0 .. 200 ]

The output of grompp and mdrun are there.

cunzhang at Debian:~/CNT$ grompp -f em -o em -c b4em -p CNT -maxwarn 5
==help information==
Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'cpp'

Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.2#
checking input for internal consistency...
processing topology...
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffgmx.itp
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffgmxnb.itp
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffgmxbon.itp
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ff_dum.itp
Generated 1337 of the 1540 non-bonded parameter combinations
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/spce.itp
Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'CNT'
Excluding 2 bonded neighbours molecule type 'SOL'
processing coordinates...
double-checking input for internal consistency...
renumbering atomtypes...
converting bonded parameters...

NOTE 1 [file CNT.top, line unknown]:
  The largest charge group contains 32 atoms.
  Since atoms only see each other when the centers of geometry of the charge
  groups they belong to are within the cut-off distance, too large charge
  groups can lead to serious cut-off artifacts.
  For efficiency and accuracy, charge group should consist of a few atoms.
  For all-atom force fields use: CH3, CH2, CH, NH2, NH, OH, CO2, CO, etc.

initialising group options...
processing index file...
Analysing residue names:
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat
There are:  2138      OTHER residues
There are:     0    PROTEIN residues
There are:     0        DNA residues
Analysing Other...
Making dummy/rest group for T-Coupling containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Acceleration containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Freeze containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Energy Mon. containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for VCM containing 7243 elements
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group rest is 15315.00
Making dummy/rest group for User1 containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for User2 containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for XTC containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Or. Res. Fit containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for QMMM containing 7243 elements
T-Coupling       has 1 element(s): rest
Energy Mon.      has 1 element(s): rest
Acceleration     has 1 element(s): rest
Freeze           has 1 element(s): rest
User1            has 1 element(s): rest
User2            has 1 element(s): rest
VCM              has 1 element(s): rest
XTC              has 1 element(s): rest
Or. Res. Fit     has 1 element(s): rest
QMMM             has 1 element(s): rest

Checking consistency between energy and charge groups...

NOTE 2 [file em.mdp, line unknown]:
  You are using a plain Coulomb cut-off, which might produce artifacts.
  You might want to consider using PME electrostatics.

This run will generate roughly 2 Mb of data
writing run input file...

There were 2 notes

Back Off! I just backed up em.tpr to ./#em.tpr.2#

gcq#159: "Way to Go Dude" (Beavis and Butthead)

cunzhang at Debian:~/CNT$ mdrun -v -s em -e em -o em -c after_em
==help information==

Back Off! I just backed up md.log to ./#md.log.2#

Getting Loaded...
Reading file em.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
Loaded with Money

Back Off! I just backed up em.trr to ./#em.trr.2#

Back Off! I just backed up em.edr to ./#em.edr.2#
Steepest Descents:
   Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+03
   Number of steps    =         1000
Step=    0, Dmax= 1.0e-02 nm, Epot= -9.12531e+04 Fmax= 1.74309e+03, atom=
824
Step=    1, Dmax= 1.0e-02 nm, Epot= -9.30129e+04 Fmax= 8.17086e+03, atom=
802
Step=    3, Dmax= 6.0e-03 nm, Epot= -9.43526e+04 Fmax= 2.00407e+03, atom=
827
Step=    5, Dmax= 3.6e-03 nm, Epot= -9.44415e+04 Fmax= 4.03472e+03, atom= 1
Step=    6, Dmax= 4.3e-03 nm, Epot= -9.47253e+04 Fmax= 3.99264e+03, atom=
802
Step=    8, Dmax= 2.6e-03 nm, Epot= -9.54446e+04 Fmax= 8.66104e+02, atom=
832

writing lowest energy coordinates.

Back Off! I just backed up after_em.gro to ./#after_em.gro.2#

Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 9 steps
Potential Energy  = -9.5444641e+04
Maximum force     =  8.6610358e+02 on atom 832
Norm of force     =  2.2713820e+02

gcq#247: "Let's Unzip And Let's Unfold" (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

cunzhang at Debian:~/CNT$ grompp -f grompp -o pr -c after_em -p CNT -maxwarn 5

==help information==

Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'title'
Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'cpp'
Replacing old mdp entry 'unconstrained-start' by 'continuation'
Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'dihre-tau'
Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'nstdihreout'
Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'nstcheckpoint'

Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.3#
checking input for internal consistency...
processing topology...
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffgmx.itp
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffgmxnb.itp
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffgmxbon.itp
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ff_dum.itp
Generated 1337 of the 1540 non-bonded parameter combinations
Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/spce.itp
Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'CNT'
Excluding 2 bonded neighbours molecule type 'SOL'
processing coordinates...
double-checking input for internal consistency...
Velocities were taken from a Maxwell distribution at 300 K
[...]

Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group System is 15315.00
Making dummy/rest group for User1 containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for User2 containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for XTC containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Or. Res. Fit containing 7243 elements
Making dummy/rest group for QMMM containing 7243 elements
T-Coupling       has 1 element(s): System
Energy Mon.      has 1 element(s): rest
Acceleration     has 1 element(s): rest
Freeze           has 1 element(s): rest
User1            has 1 element(s): rest
User2            has 1 element(s): rest
VCM              has 1 element(s): rest
XTC              has 1 element(s): rest
Or. Res. Fit     has 1 element(s): rest
QMMM             has 1 element(s): rest

Checking consistency between energy and charge groups...

NOTE 2 [file grompp.mdp, line unknown]:
  You are using a plain Coulomb cut-off, which might produce artifacts.
  You might want to consider using PME electrostatics.

This run will generate roughly 143 Mb of data
writing run input file...

There were 2 notes

Back Off! I just backed up pr.tpr to ./#pr.tpr.1#

gcq#97: "The Universe is Somewhere In Here" (J.G.E.M. Fraaije)

cunzhang at Debian:~/CNT$ mdrun -v -s pr -e pr -o pr -c after_pr
==help information==
Back Off! I just backed up md.log to ./#md.log.3#
Getting Loaded...
Reading file pr.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
Loaded with Money

There were 64 inconsistent shifts. Check your topology

Back Off! I just backed up pr.trr to ./#pr.trr.1#

Back Off! I just backed up traj.xtc to ./#traj.xtc.1#

Back Off! I just backed up pr.edr to ./#pr.edr.1#
starting mdrun 'Pure Water in water'
[...]

"Right Now My Job is Eating These Doughnuts" (Bodycount)

Cun Zhang