[gmx-users] Unexpected behavior of g_msd

Darrell Koskinen darrellk at ece.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 26 10:52:17 CET 2009

Hi Berk, Yes, I am aware of the -b and -e options in g_msd but was
wondering why the output said "Fitting from 4 to 35.9 ps" when I
selected the time period from 60 to 100 ps. It appears that the output
comment actually meant that it was fitting from 60+4 to 60+35.9 ps, but
this is not clear to the user. At least, it was not obvious to me. When
you say "MSD is a function of a time difference, not of simulation
time", so you mean that I do not need to simulate for a longer period of
time to get accurate results? Do I simply need to change trestart to a
smaller value? Or is there something else I must do? Thanks. Darrell
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:27:27 +0100 From: Berk Hess <gmx3 at hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: [gmx-users] Unexpected behavior of g_msd To: Discussion
list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org> Message-ID:
<COL113-W13EFECFADFB96DB6D2356B8E9B0 at phx.gbl> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1" Hi, You don't need trjconv, g_msd has options -b
and -e. But the regression is obviously done on the time differences and
not on the frame times. MSD is a function of a time difference, not of
simulation time. Berk