[gmx-users] grompp: no such moleculetype

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 5 20:20:44 CEST 2009

Francesco Pietra wrote:

> I have now used protein-in-vacuum.mdp from the ubiquitin cg tutorial.

Which tutorial is that?  Can you provide a link?

> Again grompp complains that "Fatal error:
> Group Non-Protein not found in indexfile. Maybe you have non-default
> goups in your mdp file, while not using the '-n' option of grompp. In
> that case use the '-n' option." (no more complaining about DPPC, now
> more generic non-protein, which increases the confusion)
>
> Having ruled out the .mdp file as responsible for that, it was easy to
> check that both the protein.gro and the protein.itp files only specify
> standard amino acids.

Why have you ruled the .mdp file out?  You will probably find the word
"Non-Protein" somewhere in the .mdp file, most likely in T-coupling groups.  If
you have a protein in vacuo, the only groups allowed for T-coupling would be
Protein or System, unless you have specifically made some custom index groups
(but you probably don't want to in this case).

Look at the .mdp file.  You will find Non-Protein somewhere.

> I'll settle the matter until I can generate ideas, or be less tired to
> check again for the presence of that mysterious non-protein. The real
> protein contains chloride ion ligands. I have cleared from them before
> starting with CG and anyway no trace of cl CL Cl.

So that has nothing to do with it.

> Hope to be able to come again here with a solution of this affair.

The best advice - don't blindly use some .mdp file you find because it works for
a tutorial.  Read it, read the manual, and make changes based on what you
actually have in your system.

-Justin