[gmx-users] grompp: no such moleculetype

Francesco Pietra francesco.pietra at accademialucchese.it
Mon Oct 5 22:05:31 CEST 2009

http://md.chem.rug.nl/~marrink/coarsegrain.html

>> Again grompp complains that "Fatal error:
>> Group Non-Protein not found in indexfile. Maybe you have non-default
>> goups in your mdp file, while not using the '-n' option of grompp. In
>> that case use the '-n' option." (no more complaining about DPPC, now
>> more generic non-protein, which increases the confusion)
>>
>> Having ruled out the .mdp file as responsible for that, it was easy to
>> check that both the protein.gro and the protein.itp files only specify
>> standard amino acids.
>>

> Why have you ruled the .mdp file out?  You will probably find the word
> "Non-Protein" somewhere in the .mdp file, most likely in T-coupling groups.
>  If you have a protein in vacuo, the only groups allowed for T-coupling
> would be Protein or System, unless you have specifically made some custom
> index groups (but you probably don't want to in this case).
>
> Look at the .mdp file.  You will find Non-Protein somewhere.

The .mdp I used is not from a tutorial; it is the general purpose - or
standard - mdp provided by Martini. It doe not contain the word
"protein"

The "protein-in-vacuum.mdp from the ubiquitin CG tutoria does contain
both "Protein" and "Non-Protein" words. deleting "Non-Protein", the
error from running grompp is:

Fatal error:
Invalid T coupling input: 1 groups, 2 ref_t values and 2 tau_t values

>> I'll settle the matter until I can generate ideas, or be less tired to
>> check again for the presence of that mysterious non-protein. The real
>> protein contains chloride ion ligands. I have cleared from them before
>> starting with CG and anyway no trace of cl CL Cl.
>>

> So that has nothing to do with it.
>
>> Hope to be able to come again here with a solution of this affair.
>>

> The best advice - don't blindly use some .mdp file you find because it works
> for a tutorial.  Read it, read the manual, and make changes based on what
> you actually have in your system.

I fully agree. Using "protein-in-vacuum.mdp", although attractive
because of "vacuum", was a bold adventure. But the standard mdp I used
before is declared to be standard, and my protein is standard. As I
said, I'll work hard to come out but before I'll take a few days
wandering with my Brittany on the Alps. The Tetraonidae will refresh
my mind.

Thanks for all you did for me (for us)

francesco