[gmx-users] grompp: no such moleculetype

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 5 23:14:18 CEST 2009

Francesco Pietra wrote:

>> Look at the .mdp file.  You will find Non-Protein somewhere.
>
> The .mdp I used is not from a tutorial; it is the general purpose - or
> standard - mdp provided by Martini. It doe not contain the word
> "protein"
>
> The "protein-in-vacuum.mdp from the ubiquitin CG tutoria does contain
> both "Protein" and "Non-Protein" words. deleting "Non-Protein", the
> error from running grompp is:
>
> Fatal error:
> Invalid T coupling input: 1 groups, 2 ref_t values and 2 tau_t values

This comes up because you've defined one group now for T-coupling and assigned
coupling constants and temperatures for two.  Haphazard changes to .mdp files
will certainly generate these errors.  Deleting until the problem goes away
never works - it only creates more problems :)

Please see the manual for proper use of tc-grps, etc.

>>> I'll settle the matter until I can generate ideas, or be less tired to
>>> check again for the presence of that mysterious non-protein. The real
>>> protein contains chloride ion ligands. I have cleared from them before
>>> starting with CG and anyway no trace of cl CL Cl.
>>>
>> So that has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>> Hope to be able to come again here with a solution of this affair.
>>>
>> The best advice - don't blindly use some .mdp file you find because it works
>> for a tutorial.  Read it, read the manual, and make changes based on what
>> you actually have in your system.
>
> I fully agree. Using "protein-in-vacuum.mdp", although attractive
> because of "vacuum", was a bold adventure. But the standard mdp I used
> before is declared to be standard, and my protein is standard. As I
> said, I'll work hard to come out but before I'll take a few days
> wandering with my Brittany on the Alps. The Tetraonidae will refresh
> my mind.

What is "standard" for one user is not necessarily "standard" for another.  You
must almost always make changes to suit your particular system, as a general rule.

> Thanks for all you did for me (for us)

You're welcome.  Hopefully everything works out.

-Justin