[gmx-users] scripts to generate topology CG

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Oct 23 17:25:36 CEST 2009

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Francesco Pietra wrote:
>>> Hello Sunny:
>>> I had already generated a valid .itp file for my protein using
>>> seq2itp. That .itp works for both the protein itself and the protein
>>> graphically inserted into a bilayer. When I add graphically further
>>> water it does not work any more. I thought there is something else
>>> that manages water without putting it everywhere. That script does not
>>> help.
>>>
>> In order to get a solution to your problem, I think you're going to have to
>> explain your methodology more clearly, including command lines and actual
>> error messages.  How are you adding water "graphically"?  Is genbox not
>> working?  Can you not simply grep for the number of water molecules, i.e.:
>>
>> grep W solvated.gro | wc -l
>>
>> and use that number in the topology?
>>
>> -Justin
>
> I'll organize to explain in more details. The methodology (all-atoms)
> is explained in a few papers of mine and supplementary material, for
> example: F. Pietra “ Docking and MD simulations of the interaction of
> the tarantula peptide psalmotoxin‑1 with ASIC1a channels using  a
> homology model” J. Chem. Inf. Model. 2009, 49, 972-977.

I read the methods there, and one of your own references therein, but it doesn't
really help that much.  I understand what you're aiming for, but atomistic
system preparation in AMBER and coarse-grain system preparation in GROMACS is
like comparing apples and oranges.  Seeing details of successful methodology
doesn't illuminate the problems you're currently having.  I still don't know
what you're trying to do in GROMACS that's causing a problem.

Again, it would be helpful to see the commands you're issuing, and any other
pertinent information (especially error messages, topology snippets, etc) to
better diagnose your problem.  If solvation is the issue, I maintain that genbox
can do the job much like Leap does in AMBER.  You may have to take a few tips
from this page about adding water:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Membrane_Simulations

-Justin