[gmx-users] potential energy NaN and strange dependence on cut-offs

Jennifer Williams Jennifer.Williams at ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 8 15:46:07 CEST 2009

Hi users,

I am running a very simple simulation of methane inside a pore (v.much
like a carbon nanotube but in my case the tube is supposed to
represent silica.) I keep this tube frozen.

I start with an energy minimisation-however this runs to completion
almost instantly and I keep get NaN for my potential energy:

Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 18 steps,
but did not reach the requested Fmax < 10.
Potential Energy  =            nan
Maximum force     =  6.5738518e+01 on atom 2133
Norm of force     =  1.5461593e+00

Otherwise the trajectory looks OK (methane moving around inside the
cylinder). If I go on to use the conf.gro file for an mdrun, it runs
to completion and generates what looks like a reasonable trajectory,
however the output again contains NaN i.e:

    Energies (kJ/mol)
         LJ (SR)   Coulomb (SR)      Potential    Kinetic En.   Total Energy
             nan    0.00000e+00            nan    3.36749e+01            nan
   Conserved En.    Temperature Pressure (bar)
             nan    3.00010e+02            nan

and calculating the Diffusion coefficient gives:
D[       CH4] 613.6682 (+/- 97.0563) 1e-5 cm^2/s

If I do the same calculation but reduce the cut-offs to 0.9. I get

    Energies (kJ/mol)
         LJ (SR)   Coulomb (SR)      Potential    Kinetic En.   Total Energy
             nan    0.00000e+00            nan    3.36750e+01            nan
   Conserved En.    Temperature Pressure (bar)
             nan    3.00011e+02            nan

D[       CH4] 237.8712 (+/- 53.5975) 1e-5 cm^2/s

And for a cut-off of 1.3nm I get

    Energies (kJ/mol)
         LJ (SR)   Coulomb (SR)      Potential    Kinetic En.   Total Energ
             nan    0.00000e+00            nan    3.36737e+01            na
   Conserved En.    Temperature Pressure (bar)
             nan    2.99999e+02            nan

D[       CH4] 19.7953 (+/- 154.0168) 1e-5 cm^2/s

For this system, the cut-off shouldn?t need to be larger than 0.8 (I
have plotted graphs of calculated V vs r) so it is worrying that the
diffusion coefficient is showing such dependence on the cut-offs when
they should all give the same result.

Can anyone offer any insight into this? I?ve tried changing the
timestep making it both larger and smaller and many other things. I?ve
pasted the relevant parts of my files below:

I?m using gromacs 4.0.5 ?at the moment running in serial.

Thanks for any advice,

Top file

[ defaults ]
; nbfunc	comb-rule	gen-pairs	fudgeLJ	fudgeQQ
1		2		yes		1.0	       1.0
;
;
[ atomtypes ]
;   type    mass    charge    ptype       c6            c12
     OSM    15.9994    0.00     A         0.2708   1.538176

;
; Include forcefield parameters
#include "CH4.itp"
;
;
[ moleculetype ]
;	Name	nrexcl
MCM	3
[ atoms ]
;	nr	type	resnr	residue	atom	cgnr	charge	        mass
1       OSM     1       MCM     OSM     1       0       15.9994
2       OSM     1       MCM     OSM     2       0       15.9994
..etc
2127    OSM     1       MCM     OSM     2127    0       15.9994
2128    OSM     1       MCM     OSM     2128    0       15.9994

[ system ]
; Name
CH4 in MCM

[ molecules ]
; Compound        #mols
MCM                1
CH4                10

CH4.itp file

[ atomtypes ]
;   type      mass    charge    ptype       c6            c12
     CH4    16.043     0.00     A        0.3732        1.24650457
;
[ moleculetype ]
; name  nrexcl
CH4        2

[ atoms ]
;   nr  type    resnr   residu  atom    cgnr    charge	mass
1       CH4      1       CH4     CH4     1        0.00  16.043

.mdp file

;
;	File 'mdout.mdp' was generated
;	By user: jwillia4 (353773)
;	On host: vlxhead2
;	At date: Fri Jun 26 15:47:37 2009
;
; VARIOUS PREPROCESSING OPTIONS
; Preprocessor information: use cpp syntax.
; e.g.: -I/home/joe/doe -I/home/mary/hoe
include                  = -I../top
; e.g.: -DI_Want_Cookies -DMe_Too
define                   =

; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
integrator               = steep
; Start time and timestep in ps
tinit                    = 0
dt                       = 0.0001
nsteps                   = 100000
; For exact run continuation or redoing part of a run
; Part index is updated automatically on checkpointing (keeps files separate)
simulation_part          = 1
init_step                = 0
; mode for center of mass motion removal
comm-mode                = linear
; number of steps for center of mass motion removal
nstcomm                  = 1
; group(s) for center of mass motion removal
comm-grps                =

; LANGEVIN DYNAMICS OPTIONS
; Friction coefficient (amu/ps) and random seed
bd-fric                  = 0
ld-seed                  = 1993

; ENERGY MINIMIZATION OPTIONS
; Force tolerance and initial step-size
emtol                    =
emstep                   = 0.001
; Max number of iterations in relax_shells
niter                    =
; Step size (ps^2) for minimization of flexible constraints
fcstep                   =
; Frequency of steepest descents steps when doing CG
nstcgsteep               =
nbfgscorr                =

; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
; Output frequency for coords (x), velocities (v) and forces (f)
nstxout                  = 100
nstvout                  = 100
nstfout                  = 0
; Output frequency for energies to log file and energy file
nstlog                   = 100
nstenergy                = 100
; Output frequency and precision for xtc file
nstxtcout                = 100
xtc-precision            = 100
; This selects the subset of atoms for the xtc file. You can
; select multiple groups. By default all atoms will be written.
xtc-grps                 =
; Selection of energy groups
energygrps               =

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
; nblist update frequency
nstlist                  =
; ns algorithm (simple or grid)
ns_type                  = grid
; Periodic boundary conditions: xyz, no, xy
pbc                      = xyz
periodic_molecules       = yes
; nblist cut-off
rlist                    = 1.7

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
; Method for doing electrostatics
coulombtype              = Cut-off
rcoulomb-switch          = 0
rcoulomb                 = 1.7
; Relative dielectric constant for the medium and the reaction field
epsilon_r                =
epsilon_rf               =

; Method for doing Van der Waals
vdw-type                 = Cut-off
; cut-off lengths
rvdw-switch              = 0
rvdw                     = 1.7
; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure
DispCorr                 = No
; Extension of the potential lookup tables beyond the cut-off
table-extension          =
; Seperate tables between energy group pairs
energygrp_table          =

; Spacing for the PME/PPPM FFT grid
fourierspacing           = 0.12
; FFT grid size, when a value is 0 fourierspacing will be used
fourier_nx               = 0
fourier_ny               = 0
fourier_nz               = 0
; EWALD/PME/PPPM parameters
pme_order                =
ewald_rtol               = 1e-05
ewald_geometry           = 3d
epsilon_surface          = 0
optimize_fft             = yes

; IMPLICIT SOLVENT ALGORITHM
implicit_solvent         = No

; OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS
; Temperature coupling
tcoupl                   = no
; Groups to couple separately
tc-grps                  =
; Time constant (ps) and reference temperature (K)
tau_t                    =
ref_t                    =

; Pressure coupling
Pcoupl                   = No
Pcoupltype               =
; Time constant (ps), compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar)
tau-p                    =
compressibility          =
ref-p                    =
; Scaling of reference coordinates, No, All or COM
refcoord_scaling         = no
; Random seed for Andersen thermostat
andersen_seed            =

; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN
gen_vel                  = no
gen_temp                 = 300
gen_seed                 = 173529

; OPTIONS FOR BONDS
constraints              = none
; Type of constraint algorithm
constraint-algorithm     = Lincs
; Do not constrain the start configuration
continuation             = no
; Use successive overrelaxation to reduce the number of shake iterations
Shake-SOR                = no
; Relative tolerance of shake
shake-tol                = 0.0001
; Highest order in the expansion of the constraint coupling matrix
lincs-order              = 4
; Number of iterations in the final step of LINCS. 1 is fine for
; normal simulations, but use 2 to conserve energy in NVE runs.
; For energy minimization with constraints it should be 4 to 8.
lincs-iter               = 1
; Lincs will write a warning to the stderr if in one step a bond
; rotates over more degrees than
lincs-warnangle          = 30
; Convert harmonic bonds to morse potentials
morse                    = no

; ENERGY GROUP EXCLUSIONS
; Pairs of energy groups for which all non-bonded interactions are excluded
energygrp_excl           =

; Non-equilibrium MD stuff
acc-grps                 =
accelerate               =
freezegrps               = MCM
freezedim                = Y Y Y
cos-acceleration         = 0
deform                   =

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.