[gmx-users] non isotropic kinetic energy

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:15:56 CEST 2009

If you would consider a water molecule a generic rigid body,
you would have to calculate the kinetic energy in a different way,
you would have to separate the rotational and translational kinetic energy.

I'll try to explain it with an example:
say you have a water molecule with all three atoms in the x-y plane.
Non-constrained there will be 3*2=6 degrees of freedom in the x-y plane.
If you constrain the two bonds and the angle you remove 3 degrees
of freedom in the x-y plane. You are left with 3: x and y translation
of the center of mass and rotation in the x-y plane.
Out of this plane (the z direction) you still have 3 degrees of freedom.
So in z you have the full Ekin, whereas in x and y you each have half
the degrees of freedom and half the Ekin of the unconstrained water.

Berk