[gmx-users] non isotropic kinetic energy

herz alexander.herz at mytum.de
Tue Sep 15 10:51:05 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have done exactly what you suggest in your first paragraph, seperating
translation and rotation for each water molecule.
If you want I can send you the new ekin_vs_t_and_erot_vs_t.dat where you
can see that the ekin is actually equidistributed
but the erot isn't!

So in this rigid body perspective each water molecule has 6 dof (3
translat 3 rot) and the 3 rot dof are not
equipartitioned! Now the rigid body is pretty much the text book example
for the equipartition theorem.

So you are right in so far as that the first measurements of ekin we did
while ago only are insufficient for the rigid body.
Now we measure ekin and erot seperatly for all 3 components per rigid
body and they are still not equipartitioned!

Alex