[gmx-users] non isotropic kinetic energy

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Sep 15 11:27:54 CEST 2009

herz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have done exactly what you suggest in your first paragraph, seperating
> translation and rotation for each water molecule.
> If you want I can send you the new ekin_vs_t_and_erot_vs_t.dat where you
> can see that the ekin is actually equidistributed
> but the erot isn't!
>
> So in this rigid body perspective each water molecule has 6 dof (3
> translat 3 rot) and the 3 rot dof are not
> equipartitioned! Now the rigid body is pretty much the text book example
> for the equipartition theorem.
>
> So you are right in so far as that the first measurements of ekin we did
> while ago only are insufficient for the rigid body.
> Now we measure ekin and erot seperatly for all 3 components per rigid
> body and they are still not equipartitioned!

Have you tested the equipartitioning per atom? This must be correct.

To make water move as a rigid body one would probably need to determine
the force and torque on the center of mass and use that to integrate the
equations of motion. A quaternion description of rigid water would do
this I presume. Did you analyze the EkRot around the center of mass of
the molecule?
Whether or not a quaternion is equivalent to a constrained atomic system
I do not know, but Berk's answer below seems to indicate it is not.