[gmx-users] molecule index

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 21 01:02:43 CEST 2009

Jamie Seyed wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> Thanks for the puzzling answer. I tried the index file counting the
> number of water molecule but I got an error.
> "Fatal error:
> The index group does not consist of whole molecules"

OK so apparently it wants atom indices for whole molecules. That seems
much more plausible to me than David's advice you quoted (please give
URLs to such quotes in future, perhaps you took it out of context...)

So try giving it atom indices for a whole water molecule as an
experiment. Seems like an obvious try to me :-) Then, scale it up if it
seems to work.

> I also did not understand what you pointed out about "One of these sets
> of numbers is larger than the other" ...

One of the set of atom indices in a protein and the set of molecule
indices in a solvated protein will have more members than the other.
Instead of asking which is right, you might try out a case that will
fail under one assumption and work under the other :-) Then perhaps ask
a question with some evidence behind it.

> questions:
> 1) for msd calculation for water molecules, do I need really make index
> file for all waters,
> 2) What I made (count the water molecules in a [mymolecules] index
> file), did not work. How I suppose to do make that?
> 3) In getting started-Water page that I found in google it only say
> "g_msd -n index" and did not explain which index... how about if I use
> oxygen.ndx file??

Provide links, please. We're not going to duplicate your googling.

Mark