[gmx-users] using 'genbox' for adding solvent

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Sep 21 03:38:16 CEST 2009

Amit Choubey wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been trying to insert a fixed no. of water molecules in my
> system. I first tried the -cp -cs options and could insert some water
> molecules. But I still need to insert  few more water molecules and for
> that i tried using the -nmol -ci option. I made a file named
> "insert.gro" which has a single water molecule with the right volume
> associated with it.
> But this option gave a segmentation fault and i am not sure why its
> doing that? May be there's not enough space for additional water but it
> should not give a segmentation fault for that reason. Is there something
> wrong with my idea?

A segmentation fault with this approach generally indicates that the requested
number of inserted molecules will not fit.

Alternately, you can try -cs spc216.gro -maxsol (your number)

If the second approach also fails, I would think that would be strong evidence
that what you're trying to do won't work.

-Justin

> The insert.gro looks like the following
>
> H2O,WATJP01,SPC216,SPC-MODEL,300K,BOX(M)=0.31034NM,WFVG,MAR. 1984
>   3
>     1SOL     OW    1    .130    .128    .113
>     1SOL    HW1    2    .037    .126    .150
>     1SOL    HW2    3    .131    .089    .021
>    0.31034   0.31034   0.31034
>
> I also tried various other box (larger) sizes for this but it didnt help.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Amit

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate