[gmx-users] nvt.gro

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Sep 24 12:46:17 CEST 2009

ram bio wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> As suggested in the tutorial by you i applied the lipid position
> restraints, while running the NVT  equillibration, but after the job is
> finished, when i observed the nvt.gro file in VMD, still there is a gap
> between the lipid bilayers but this time the gap is not so large as it
> was in the earlier run (as discussed earlier in previous email).
>
> As I was already running the NPT equillibration(which I obtained after
> the earlier NVT job, which ended in large gap between layers), i just
> wanted to observe it and here there is no gap in between the layers i.e.
> in npt.gro.
>
> Please suggest me what to do to lower the gap after NVT equillibration
> even after applying the lipid restraints and is it ok for my NPT
> equillibration as there are no gaps between the layers after this NPT
> equillibration.

The gap arises because the lipids (when free to move) are attracted to the water
above and below the bilayer.  If the protein is restrained, it doesn't move.
The box size in NVT is fixed, so the system is trying to fill it.  It could be
that your box was inappropriately assigned (too large), but maybe not.

I am surprised that, even when using position restraints, the lipids still
separated at all.  Did you use the lipid_posre.itp file that I provide on the
tutorial site?  It has always worked well for me in such cases.  You could also
try increasing the force constant in the z-dimension.

The other option is to do NPT simulated annealing, as I also suggest in the
troubleshooting page.  Using NPT allows the box to deform in response to the
system, so you will probably get less weird behavior.  I have found that both
NVT with PR and simulated annealing can get the job done.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080