[gmx-users] g_sas

Chih-Ying Lin chihying2008 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 02:35:23 CEST 2010

Hi
>From David,
"If you select a
group consisting of a single residue in a protein the SAS will be
computed as if the rest of the protein is not there. Very useful when
you want to compute protein-protein interface areas."

=> therefore, if i select a group consisting of a single residue, which is
in the core of a protein, it is impossible that water penetrates into the
core of the protein so SAS is supposed to be zero.

=> However, after calculation with g_sas, the SAS_calculation of the single
residue residing in the core of the protein is NOT ZERO.

=> My understanding is that g_sas returns the surface area of the single
residue and it does not matter where the single residue locates.
     right?

=> The single residue can locate in the core of the protein or on the
surface of the protein. The g_sas calculation for the single residue will
not make a huge difference unless the single residue deforms/ twists .....
 on the surface or in the core of the protein,right ?

=> How to compute protein-protein interface area?

=> In the protein + ligands + water system, I want to compute protein-ligand
interface, protein-water interface, and ligand-water interface separately.
 => How?

=> in the protein + water system, g_sas computes the total SAS fluctuating
between   88  and  144  (angstrom_squares)
=> does it make sense ?
=> I don't think that protein will swell 50 % plus in the pure water.
=> But why ??

=> How to calculate the surface area of a micelle ?

Thank you
Lin

>> Hi
>> The command
>> g_sas => Select a group for calculation of surface and a group for output
>>

>> What is the difference between "a group for calculation of surface"
>> and "a group for output"?
>
> Please consult the documentation. From g_sas -h:
>
> "The program will ask for a group for the surface calculation and a
> group for the output. The calculation group should always consists of
> all the non-solvent atoms in the system. The output group can be the
> whole or part of the calculation group."

Actually this documentation is not correct.

The calculation group are those atoms taken into account in the
computation, whether or not they are solvent accessible. If you select a

--
David.