[gmx-users] Time for equilibration

XAvier Periole x.periole at rug.nl
Thu Apr 15 10:16:52 CEST 2010

The distortion of a protein starting structure can result from various
reasons:
1- experimental determination of the structure: this include the
experimental
conditions (T, pH) as well as the crystal contacts if X-ray were used,
dynamics
of some part of the molecule if NMR.
2- the manner you solvate and equilibrate. Using position restrain on
the
heavy atoms of the protein first, and then on the Calphas is generally
a good
idea. The time you need to run those simulations depends on the
system. If
you see deviations you can try to run a bit longer. 100 ps is
generally sufficient
but can be extended to 500 ps, this is no problem.
3- the force field you are using might also trigger some "small"
deviations of the
protein. The protein structure might contain "strange" local
configuration that
are not sable in the FF.
4- you set up, meaning time step, temperature, pressure, ...

Note finally that a deviation from the starting structure might just
be a fluctuation
of a labile region of the protein ...