[gmx-users] Problems with g_energy

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 20 16:38:20 CEST 2010

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Hi justin
>
> Basically the gmxdump produces the same as below as does gmxcheck.
> gmxcheck also produces the following:
>
> Checking energy file ener.edr
>
> Opened ener.edr as single precision energy file
> frame:      0 (index      0), t:      0.000
> Reading energy frame   4000 time 40000.000
> WARNING: there may be something wrong with energy file ener.edr
> Found: step=0, nre=0, ndisre=0, nblock=0, time=0.
> Trying to skip frame expect a crash though
>
> Timesteps at t=43010 don't match (10, -43010)
>
> WARNING: there may be something wrong with energy file ener.edr
> Found: step=0, nre=0, ndisre=0, nblock=0, time=0.
> Trying to skip frame expect a crash though
>
> Timesteps at t=0 don't match (-43010, 0)
>
> WARNING: there may be something wrong with energy file ener.edr
> Found: step=0, nre=0, ndisre=0, nblock=0, time=0.
> Trying to skip frame expect a crash though
>

> It is at the point 43010 ps where the simulation had more than likely
> exceeeded the queue limit.
> Do you think it would be safer to use the -maxh option of mdrun ? as my
> jobs several days in duration.

That's not a bad idea, if you know there's a limit.  It looks like the file
somehow got corrupted.  You might be able to parse out meaningful data from
frames before the corruption using eneconv for the .edr file and trjconv for
your trajectories.  Then, if you have a .cpt file from an earlier time point,
you can restart.  If you've been continually over-writing the .cpt files,
though, you won't be able to get an exact restart.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar