[gmx-users] Check V for NVT‏

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 14 00:44:45 CEST 2010

Rama G wrote:
> Thanks Justin,
>
> but I did not find them, what I found are Vir-XY, YZ, XX,....
> Are these the same as Box-X, Y, Z, or perhaps can be converted to?
> Btw, I am using 4.0.7 version.

See the latest post in the thread.  The Vir-* terms refer to virial, which is
unrelated.

> One more Q', I saw your great gromacs tutorial at VT, but I am kinda
> confused you used both NPT and NVT in position restraint step,
> while 'official' tutorial by JE Kerrigan only used NPT, would that
> affect the final results? Sorry, newbie here.

Are any of the tutorials "official"?  They're all just contributed by users...

In any case, the "typical" equilibration steps involve both NVT (to relax
temperature), then NPT (to relax pressure once temperature is stable).  In some
cases, if you apply NPT directly, bad clashes in the initial structure can cause
temperature spikes, thus kinetic energy spikes, the virial (and thus pressure)
goes haywire, and the whole system collapses.  Not always the case, but I've
noticed that this can happen.  Maybe there's a more deeply theoretical reason
for NVT prior to NPT, but I've never found one aside from stability issues.
Some systems are robust enough to proceed to NPT immediately, but most often in
the literature NVT precedes NPT.

-Justin

> Best,
>
> Juju