[gmx-users] negative values of force

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 14 21:34:23 CEST 2010

Samrat Pal wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> I the pullf.xvg file also, some values are negative. I am giving below
> the pull code -
>
> pull            = umbrella
> pull_geometry   = distance
> pull_dim        = Y Y Y
> pull_start      = yes
> pull_ngroups    = 1
> pull_group0     = freeze
> pull_group1     = pull
> pull_rate1      = 0.01
> pull_k1         = 1000
>
> I have given pull_dim Y Y Y as I am not pulling in a particular
> direction. Is it right?

You can answer that question yourself by looking at the dX, dY, and dZ entries
in pullx.xvg.

As far as the negative values go, there's no way to assess whether that's
necessarily right or wrong.  If you produce a configuration that is equally
influenced by the pulling force and other forces in the system, it may oscillate
between positive and negative.