[gmx-users] g_gyrate -p => the radii of gyration about the principal axes ?

Chih-Ying Lin chihying2008 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 20:15:54 CEST 2010

HI
What is the math definition of the radii of gyration about the principal
axes in Gromacs?

 I use the command   g_gyrate -p

 For lysozyme ,   I got  =>
 0.922754     1.22249     1.25603

 but in some paper, the authors got
 => 0.660  0.833  0.991

 It is a quite difference.

>From David =>
"The difference seems to be a constant factor.
Gromacs computes
sqrt (sum m (r-r_com)^2 / sum m)
I'm pretty sure it says so in the manual."

1. so the different factor is   sum m ,  not sum_N,   right ?  (N= number of
atoms)
2. the choice of the principal axes of the protein molecule is a standard
process ?
    => I mean the principal axes of the protein molecule  is fixed, right  ?
    => I mean the math of the principal axes of the protein molecule is
defined all over the world , right ?

Thank you
Lin