[gmx-users] How to control and interpret g_density analysis more precisely?

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sat Aug 28 04:30:31 CEST 2010

Dear Alex:

be careful with g_density! If you do not use the symmetrize -symm
option, then the box height is going to be taken as a single frame. If
you do NpT, then you will get an incorrect (or at least noisy) result.
I forget if this will bite you if you do use the -symm option.

This is all to say that you should do some serious testing before you
trust the plain output of this tool (or at least that was true in
4.0.7).

See, for example, the volume normalization, which is taken from a
single frame in line 328,329 of src/tools/gmx_density.c, which are
outside of the for loop over frames:

       (*slDensity)[n][i] = (*slDensity)[n][i] * (*nslices) /
         (nr_frames * box[axis][axis] * box[ax1][ax1] * box[ax2][ax2]);

Chris.