[gmx-users] C6 attractive term off OPLSAA

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 1 16:25:02 CET 2010

nishap.patel at utoronto.ca wrote:
> I ran the simulation using a different force field ffG53a6. I modified
> the ffG53a6nb.itp file by changing the term C6 to zero for nonbonded
> parameters, but this time for urea in water. The simulation ran fine
> without any warning or exploding. I don't understand why it would work
> with one force-field and not with OPLS-AA.

I don't understand why it worked at all, frankly, but more than likely you've
been lucky enough to make 53a6 work, but OPLS-AA failed.  You're making
significant alterations to the nonbonded interactions of the system.

> Also using mdrun -rerun, I would basically use the nb.itp file with
> nonbonded parameters as mentioned earlier and everything else is the
> same i.e. my .mdp parameters and do another run using my previous
> trajectory file? I tried to look through some of the posts for using
> -rerun but I don't understand how that would not still blow up the
> system. I would like to give it a try for sure but I am not quite sure
> how I would use the command as such.

Using mdrun -rerun recalculates energies from an existing trajectory.  You would
generate a trajectory with a normal force field model, then create a new .tpr
file that has your modified potential, such that you can decompose the energy
terms cleverly.  If your goal is to generate trajectories to study the effects
of using a modified potential (i.e., C6 = 0), then you can't use -rerun.

-Justin