[gmx-users] Umberella sampling

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 8 15:27:59 CET 2010

mohsen ramezanpour wrote:
> Dear  All  And Specially Dear Justin
>
> I read the toturial of Umbrella Sampling.It was very useful
> But there are afew question,of course about my work .
> 1-Is it necessary pulling one molecule along the line connecting their
> COMs?

The pull code is based on COM distances, so in a basic sense, yes.  But you
don't necessarily have to have two entire molecules as your pull and reference
groups; you can pull on a specific residue of one or the other, etc.

Another type of PMF would be a dihedral rotation curve, so in a broad sense, PMF
is not necessarily a linear calculation, but rather one that is carried out over
a generic coordinate.

> 2-I have a protein-drug complex,it has oriented in a ordinary direction
> in 3D space
> How can I say Gromacs to pul drug along that line?

See the pull_vec1 .mdp option.

> in the other words,are there any way to rotate system to an special
> direction?

You can use editconf -rotate, but any arbitrary orientation can be utilized.

-Justin

> thanks in advance for your guides.
> Mohsen

Justin A. Lemkul